Discussions with Alberta Parks on current challenges, like communication and permits along with opportunities for parks in the region.
Local food from S4 Greenhouses
A Saturday morning tradition for nearly 50 years, the public market is one of the largest in Alberta. Head out with one of our guides to discover local food and unique vendors.
We get an early start, heading out before the market gets busy and then we have a chance to chat with many of the producers themselves. The vendors we visit varies from week to week but the tour usually includes 5 to 8 of our favourites.
After this tour you'll be ready to recommend your market favourites to visitors.
- Get first hand experience with some of Red Deer's best tours and activities.
- Find new things to do that you can recommend to your guests.
- Meet industry partners and find opportunities to collaborate.
- Get inspired to promote our destination.
Perfect for: Anyone interested in our local tourism industry.
- Departure: [tribe_formatted_event_date format="F j, Y"]
- Rate: $25 per person
- Difficulty: Easy
- Departure: Red Deer
1. Local Producers
We'll be visiting local producers, checking out what is in season. Some of our regular stops include:
- Innisfail Growers: Local farmers working together to bring a variety of fresh and preserved products to market.
- Klein Farm: Free range chicken and sausages from a local farm.
- S4 Greenhouses: Heirloom tomatoes, peppers, cucumber and lettuce produced in the nearby Gull Lake area.
2. Food Artisans
From fresh locally made hummus to baked goods and cheese, there's no shortage of options at the public market. Some of our regular stops include:
- Black Forest German Bakery: Fresh bread and pretzels from this Olds based bakery.
- Humble Hummus: Locally made hummus with ever changing flavours like mango chipotle, dill pickle and peanut butter chocolate along with the more classic offerings.
- Pearson's Berry Farm: Fresh baked pies and more.
- Sylvan Star Cheese: Award winning Gouda cheese.
3. Craft Beverages
Exploring the market makes one thirsty. Don't worry, we've got you covered with some great options. Some of our regular stops include:
- Thirst for Paradise: A market fixture, Phil imports his own coffee from his native Papa New Guinea.
- Troubled Monk Brewery: We might not be able to taste their delicious beer at the market but we still get to enjoy their craft sodas!
- Wild Brewing Co.: Delicious kombucha, loved across the province and brewed right here in Red Deer.
4. Pursuit Adventures
This tour is one we offer every Saturday as part of our Small Group Adventures series.
Where to Meet?
At Pursuit Adventures' booth at the market. We'll forward a more exact location closer to the date. Directions to the market >
What to Bring?
Dress comfortably and ready to play. We'll be spending some time inside and some outside so dress for the weather.
- Proper footwear (walking/running/hiking shoes or boots)
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- A windbreaker, shell and/or rain jacket
- A warm sweater (conditions can chance quickly)
- A water bottle
- A professional guide.
- All activities.
- Samples from various vendors.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and backpack.
Terms and Conditions
This tour requires bookings to be made at least 2 days prior to departure. Please contact us at (403) 986-6190 for a last minute booking.
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here.
Select your upcoming Showcase Adventure to reserve your spot.
A Few More Things To Know
We get to play outside on our tours and that means you’ll want to come prepared for the weather. Make sure to dress in layers and come prepared for the unpredictable weather we often get in Alberta. We rarely cancel tours due to weather, as long as we can have a safe adventure. You’ll be amazed at how warm we get snowshoeing at -20C or how much fun hiking in the rain can be!
Need help with your booking or have a few more questions? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe or give us a call at 403 986-6190.
Share This Adventure With Your Guests
This adventure is available for your guests. They can find out more about our winter tours and book directly at pursuitadventures.ca.
We offer net rates on this adventure for our partners in Central Alberta through the our Explore Central Alberta brand. Find out more about how we can work together at explorecentralalberta.ca/working-together.
The two main items this month were the revamped Travel Alberta grant program and a discussion with Alberta Parks on local challenges we often encounter.
Bringing the frozen wonderland theme to life with artisans, locals and amazing landscapes.
A short meeting to catch up during the winter season and to take a look at destination activation options for next year.
Following up on the housing discussion, looking at our target markets with Travel Alberta and crafting winter itineraries.
Capturing the beauty of the fall colours and sharing the stories of the region.
Building our summer adventure content, from rafting to nature-inspired art and hiking, with MODERNSPEAK and Roam Creative.
A look at our plans as we expand our partnerships and content development projects.
Capturing the magic of winter adventures in the Nordegg & Abraham Lake region with Modernspeak and Roam Creative.