Mountains, glaciers and turquoise lakes
See Abraham Lake and the surrounding area from a different perspective on a sightseeing helicopter tour.
Take flight from the Rockies Heli Canada base located between Nordegg and Saskatchewan River Crossing on the shores of Abraham Lake. Your sightseeing adventure takes you into the Cline River valley, toward the majestic Minster Mountain, glaciers and stunning lakes.
One of our favourites is the Heli Wilderness Adventure. The adventure starts with your choice of the 20, 30 or 55-minute sightseeing flight and then adds a one-hour stop in a remote wilderness area for a walk. On our tour we got to spend time at Lake of the Falls, taking in the views of the surrounding peaks and turquoise waters.
All tours and activities bookings are handled by Explore Nordegg & Abraham Lake and tours like these are offered by local partners. Most bookings require a minimum of 2 days' notice, contact us for last-minute options.
We all have our part to do to keep this place special. Planning ahead is key to ensuring that we all continue to enjoy adventures in the Nordegg & Abraham Lake region. These are a few of the things you can do to help:
- Minimize your impact by using existing sites, fire rings and toilets instead of creating your own.
- Know about current fire bans, make sure that your fire is completely out before you go and buy firewood instead of cutting down trees. Remember that shooting fireworks is not allowed in the region.
- Keep your site clean and your food stored inside your vehicle to help keep our wildlife wild. Always use bear-proof garbage bins.
- While alcohol is now permitted in some Alberta Parks day-use areas, none of those are in our region. Alcohol is only allowed at registered campsites.
- Be mindful of your neighbours and other visitors, including keeping noise to a minimum.
- Be prepared for adventures in a remote area. Explore within your skills to reduce the strain on our volunteer search and rescue team.
- Remember that cell service is limited. We recommend carrying a satellite communicator, like a Zoleo, on your adventures.
- Support local businesses and communities in Cline River, the Bighorn and Nordegg.
Information provided here may be inaccurate or outdated. Always make sure to obtain current information before going on your adventure.
The first portion of the adventure took us along the Cline River Valley, seeing from above the Cline River Canyon and the Coral Creek Canyon where we hike often. The flight then took us toward Resolute Mountain and its snow-covered peak and the straight walls of Purple Mountain before we made our approach to Lake of the Falls, our destination for the walk.
Lake of the Falls
Our last visit to Lake of the Falls was on a backpacking trip during an August snow storm... This time around we were treated to blue skies, wildflowers and gorgeous views. The wilderness stop is the perfect way to slow things down and take the time to enjoy this special place.
If you're looking at camping or spending the day fishing at Lake of the Falls, they offer the option of flights to this lake and many others in the area. These Heli Backcountry Adventures are unguided but a great option for those with experience in the outdoors.
The Return Flight
The last part of the adventure is the flight back to the Cline River heliport, taking in one last look at Lake of the Falls, the Cline River Valley and Abraham Lake.
All the stories we share are by locals, whether they live here or love our region and contribute to making it an amazing place.