rustic camping with access to ohv trails
A popular camping area among OHV users.
This camping area is extremely popular with OHV users, and is also used as a one night option for paddlers looking to put in the next morning. While there are great views of the river and the cliffs above, this is not the right spot if you are looking for a quiet, secluded campsite.
Construction is currently underway to make improvements to the rustic camping areas and will continue until fall 2023. This is a phased construction process, and visitors are advised to refer to on-site signage regarding areas open for camping. Visitors should obey all signage and stay out of the construction areas.
At a Glance
- Season: Year-round
- Amenities: Pit toilets
- Reservations: First come, first served
- Permit: Public Lands Camping Pass required.
Getting there: The camping area is located 28 km west of Nordegg on Highway 11 and Range Road 170A.
We all have our part to do to keep this place special. Planning ahead is key to ensuring that we all continue to enjoy adventures in the Nordegg & Abraham Lake region. These are a few of the things you can do to help:
- Minimize your impact by using existing sites, fire rings and toilets instead of creating your own.
- Know about current fire bans, make sure that your fire is completely out before you go and buy firewood instead of cutting down trees. Remember that shooting fireworks is not allowed in the region.
- Keep your site clean and your food stored inside your vehicle to help keep our wildlife wild. Always use bear-proof garbage bins.
- While alcohol is now permitted in some Alberta Parks day-use areas, none of those are in our region. Alcohol is only allowed at registered campsites.
- Be mindful of your neighbours and other visitors, including keeping noise to a minimum.
- Be prepared for adventures in a remote area. Explore within your skills to reduce the strain on our volunteer search and rescue team.
- Remember that cell service is limited. We recommend carrying a satellite communicator, like a Zoleo, on your adventures.
- Support local businesses and communities in Cline River, the Bighorn and Nordegg.
Information provided here may be inaccurate or outdated. Always make sure to obtain current information before going on your adventure.