A great campground just off the Icefields Parkway and the best option for those looking to explore Banff National Parks and the Kootenay Plains.
Thompson Creek is a quiet campground with private sites in the forest. Located just a short drive to the Icefields Parkway, near the North Saskatchewan River and trails that take you to some amazing views of the surrounding mountains.
Unfortunately, there is no longer a picnic shelter at this campground. Like most of the other campgrounds in the area, the ones here were taken down a few years ago leaving few options on a rainy day.
At a Glance
- Season: May to October
- Number of sites: 56 unserviced sites
- Amenities: Picnic tables, fire pits, toilets, garbage bins, firewood for sale
- Campground host: Yes
- Reservations: First Come First Served, Cash Only Self Registration
- Website: albertaparks.ca
Getting there: Thompson Creek Campground is located on Highway 11 approximately 10 km east of Saskatchewan River Crossing and 80 km west of Nordegg.
We all have our part to do to keep this place special. Planning ahead is key to ensuring that we all continue to enjoy adventures in the Nordegg & Abraham Lake region. These are a few of the things you can do to help:
- Minimize your impact by using existing campsites, fire rings and toilets instead of creating your own.
- Know about current fire bans, make sure that your fire is completely out before you go and buy firewood instead of cutting down trees. Remember that shooting fireworks is not allowed in the region.
- Keep your site clean and your food stored inside your vehicle to help keep our wildlife wild.
- Keep a quiet site and be mindful of your neighbours.
- Be prepared for adventures in a remote area. Explore within your skills to reduce the strain on our volunteer search and rescue team.
- Information provided here may be inaccurate or outdated. Always make sure to obtain current information before going on your adventure.
- Support local businesses and communities in Cline River, the Bighorn and Nordegg.