Head up on your next adventure
The region has always been popular for those reaching for summits.
The David Thompson Climbers Association has a lot of information on local climbing routes while the David Thompson Country: A Scrambling Guide has you covered while you planned your next scramble.
Girth Hitch Guiding offers guided tours on the region's two via ferrata, a great option for those looking to go higher this summer.
Tanya Vanthuyne @vanthuynee
All tours and activities bookings are handled by Explore Nordegg & Abraham Lake and tours like these are offered by local partners. Most bookings require a minimum of 2 days' notice, contact us for last-minute options.
We all have our part to do to keep this place special. Planning ahead is key to ensuring that we all continue to enjoy adventures in the Nordegg & Abraham Lake region. These are a few of the things you can do to help:
- Minimize your impact by using existing sites, fire rings and toilets instead of creating your own.
- Know about current fire bans, make sure that your fire is completely out before you go and buy firewood instead of cutting down trees. Remember that shooting fireworks is not allowed in the region.
- Keep your site clean and your food stored inside your vehicle to help keep our wildlife wild. Always use bear-proof garbage bins.
- While alcohol is now permitted in some Alberta Parks day-use areas, none of those are in our region. Alcohol is only allowed at registered campsites.
- Be mindful of your neighbours and other visitors, including keeping noise to a minimum.
- Be prepared for adventures in a remote area. Explore within your skills to reduce the strain on our volunteer search and rescue team.
- Remember that cell service is limited. We recommend carrying a satellite communicator, like a Zoleo, on your adventures.
- Support local businesses and communities in Cline River, the Bighorn and Nordegg.
Information provided here may be inaccurate or outdated. Always make sure to obtain current information before going on your adventure.
The David Thompson Climbers Association
Get the latest info on climbing routes in the region and support the development of new climbing opportunities.
They also produce a print guidebook, Rock Climbs in the David Thompson Corridor, that is available locally at Beehive Artisans Market and the Nordegg Canteen.