Discover the magic of our frozen wonderland
Find a different kind of Rockies experience as you enjoy 4 days of playing in the snow and relaxing by the fire.
Winter in Nordegg & Abraham Lake is a spectacular time as the ice bubbles form on Abraham Lake, the waterfalls freeze into amazing formations and the snow-covered mountains provide the awe-inspiring backdrop.
Head out with your local guide for an ice walk under the stars to the Abraham Lake ice bubbles, explore frozen waterfalls and take in the sights from above on a helicopter tour.
No experience required. This private adventure is tailored to your group.
At a Glance
- 4 days of adventures
- 3 nights cabin stay
- Starts in Calgary and ends in Banff
- Great for those looking to explore the quieter side of the Rockies and try new activities
- Available from late November to early March
Self-drive package from $885 per person for 6 guests.
Guided package with transportation from $1,230 per person for 6 guests.
Like most great adventures, this one starts with a road trip! The drive from Calgary to Nordegg along the Cowboy Trail and David Thompson Highway offers one of the most scenic approaches to the Canadian Rockies. Plan to stop in Sundre or Rocky Mountain House for a snack along the way and, since we only have limited groceries available in Nordegg, we recommend a quick grocery stop in either town.
Start the day with one of Nordegg Canteen’s famous breakfast sandwiches as you check in for your adventure. Choose from a full-day Frozen Waterfalls + Ice Bubbles guided tour with Nordegg Adventures or head out ice climbing with Girth Hitch Guiding.
The Frozen Waterfalls + Ice Bubbles tour includes a short winter hike along ice-covered canyons to start the day, a picnic lunch and an afternoon ice walk on Abraham Lake.
Looking to try something a little different? Get up close to a frozen waterfall as you learn to ice climb. The tour includes all the climbing gear and instruction from an ACMG-certified guide.
Afterward, it’s time to head back to the cabin for dinner and an evening by the fire.
Time to relax and enjoy a quiet morning at the cabin. Grab a pair of cross-country skis or snowshoes and head out on the nearby trails in Nordegg for a couple of hours of fun in the snow.
End the day by experiencing the magic of the Abraham Lake ice bubbles under the stars with Nordegg Adventures.
It’s time to hit the road for a drive along the Icefields Parkway as you make your way to Lake Louise or Banff for your next adventure.
Along the way, head up with Rockies Heli Canada for a sightseeing helicopter tour, a snowshoe stop in the alpine and one last look at Abraham Lake, until your next visit.
From there, make sure to stop at Whirlpool Point, Howse Pass Viewpoint, Peyto Lake and Bow Lake to take in those famous mountain views.
Like most amazing places, we’re a little more remote than your average destination. Here are a few things you should know as you plan your trip:
- There is no public transportation within the region. You’ll want to either have a car with winter tires or book a guided tour with transportation.
- We recommend leaving Calgary by noon on day 1 and planning to take 4 hours to get here with a few stops along the way.
- We’re only 2 hours away from Lake Louise but we recommend planning on 4 hours (in addition to the heli-tour) for the drive on day 4 since you’ll be wanting to stop along the way for the views.
- Groceries are limited in the townsite. Plan ahead and pick some up on your way here, or order your supplies from the Nordegg Canteen.